Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Day 10 with Andrew - Flight to Guangzhou





This morning started early as we had to be up and leaving for the airport by 8--We had to get up at 5:30 to pack bags, eat breakfast and check out of our room. We had a hard time getting all of our winter stuff back into the suitcases and staying under the 44 pound per bag limit. Yikes-I am not sure what we will do once I get to shop in Guangzhou.

It was so nice to be heading to Guangzhou, but very sad to be taking Andrew away from his home in Beijing. It is hard to explain-but the feeling that we were removing him from his entire past was very emotional for me. I want him to always remember where he is from and to know about all of the people who loved and cared for him before we got there. I would love to know what surgeon performed his surgery. I would love for them to see a picture of our thriving, beautiful son. So many people here do not notice that he has a repaired cleft lip and palate. Each of the government officials have commented that there was no way to tell. The surgeon did a beautiful job and we are so grateful.

Karen found a wonderful little playground at the airport during our 1 1/2 hour wait for departure. You should have seen my boy climb the rock wall and smile. Priceless!

Andrew did wonderful on his 1st flight ever! We sat on the run way for an extra 40 minutes before take off. He and Anna Grace both fell asleep as soon as we took off. He never fussed or cried. I am praying that it will be the same for the next 3 flights we have.
Oh what a welcome sight it was to see Elvin(our guide) holding the CWA sign and smiling the biggest smile ever. We all LOVE Elvin-He is the greatest. Within minutes of meeting Andrew, he had him talking and communicating with him. Andrew did everything that Elvin ask and responded correctly. Elvin told us that Andrew was a very smart boy with quick responses. It is such a relief to have someone who is willing to communicate with him and help us out.
We are so thrilled beyond belief to be at The White Swan hotel-It is gorgeous. Our rooms are connecting again and it is perfect. I was so excited to be here and have the chance to see and enjoy all that I missed on Anna Grace's trip. We are going to a local park tomorrow and sightseeing. I can't express how wonderful Elvin is and how happy we are to be here with him. It is almost like coming home.
I am enjoying talking to my mom and dad and hearing all about what they are eating at home. White rice is getting old. I am not sure what I want first-homemade soup, chili beans, ravioli or a big salad :) I do know that I can't wait for that 1st HUGE glass of sweet tea with ICE! I miss my ice!

I will close with this-we have some wonderful travel mates-each of us at a different stage in life-our new children range from 3-12. The one thing we have in common is our love for the Lord, Our belief that God led us on this path, and love for our new children. Please take a moment and lift each of the 5 families up in your prayers. No matter how wonderful things are going, we all have an area that could use a prayer. I think we are all so blessed and things are going so smoothly, but honestly after traveling for 11 days, taking 3 or more flights already, jet lag, new children and the schedule we have been keeping, we are all just exhausted and in need of our beds and sleep. We each covet your prayers for our families. Signing off from Guangzhou-White Swan Hotel! Can you tell how thrilled I am?

3 comments:

Carmi said...

Glad you all are now in Guangzhou! Tell Elvin that the Hendersons (Guo Ding (Zane) and Hong Yi (Karys) said hello! We had Elvin for both of those trips. Will continue to pray for you all I know you are so ready to be home. Oh and I so missed ice too!

Mario and Lisa said...

Oh Elvin IS wonderful! He was our guide in GZ with Judah! We're hoping to see him again soon! Hey, We had pop with ICE while in China. I know- We live dangerously! :) So glad to see you are on your last leg of the trip. I'm still praying for all of you. Our God is good and faithful!!!! One more thing, the pictures are so sweet!!!

Robin said...

Where am I at? I was in this picture but can't find my face.